Thursday, January 8, 2009

Power Outage

I got home last night to a dark neighborhood. I got home a little after 6 (only Nate can complain about longer days to me). I noticed our section of the neighborhood was a little darker than I remember, then I try to open the garage to no avail. It took a second to register... all the houses are dark which is weird because we always have the kitchen light on dim and the houses around us usually have some lights on. So I got to be Amish for a night. Justin was sleeping, because well, what else can you do in the dark? I wandered around with only the light from my cell phone for a few minutes before lighting some candles, found the phone number to report outages and called, had a banana and peanut butter for dinner and did some Algebra 2 by candle light before going to bed around 7:30 (because what else can you do in the dark?). Justin came in about an hour later saying the electricity was back on, but that didnt matter I was in bed and staying in bed until the alarm went off in the morning at 5 was out the door by 5:30 and realized I should have done more work in the dark because I needed an answer key for first period. And that reminds me... I need to make the key for their Calculus test tomorrow. Just remember, I love what I do. I work hard and get all summer off.

5 comments:

babyarnie said...

I'm so glad that there are people like you who love what you do b/c I'd work 13 months out of the year to NOT teach Calculus!! ;)

Carroll said...

Wow...Algebra by candlelight. Just like the olden days...

Rachael said...

Did they even have Algebra in the olden days?

katiejoy said...

The "Father of Algebra" is thought to be Abu Ja'far Muhammad ibn Musa al-Khwarizmi, born in approximately 786 AD. So I would say it was around in the olden days.

Elizabeth said...

Whoa!